In 1919 the foundations of the fraternity were established. As the year was drawing to a close the idea of some form of organization was brewing in the minds of a handful of Lafayette men. At first they met as a literary society. They soon became known as "The Arrows." In 1932, in order to boost their ranks, they merged with the "Sphinx' and became known as Alpha Sigma Delta Fraternity.
Meanwhile, back in 1925, another group of men had united and called themselves Delta Sigma Fraternity. Negotiations by these men for national affiliation with the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity were cornpleted on December 28, 1928. Alpha Omicron chapter of Phi Kappa Tau was established at Lafayette College.
At first it was a success but after a few years, the fraternity ran into immense trouble. Membership was at a minimum and there were many bills outstanding. Brothers from Eta chapter at Muhlenberg had to come and help rush freshmen for there were only four members left in the house. In 1934, the house was finally put back on its feet by the merger with Alpha Sigma Delta, the former Sphinx and Arrows, until it became inactive during World War II. In 1956, by unanimous vote, the brotherhood pledged two Negro men, Ed Washington and Vic Patridge. The resulting disagreement on membership with national caused us on October 3, 1956, to revert to the status of a local fraternity, Delta Sigma. We returned to Phi Tau in April of 1959. The ground was cleared for our return to National when the National Convention in June 1958, at Pasadena, California, reinterpreted the membership clause. The present interpretation permits a man, regardless of race, creed, or color, to belong to Phi Kappa Tau if the resident council of the local fraternity desires him as a brother.
We were proud to have been Delta Sigs and we are proud that once again we are Phi Taus, for it is not the name of the fraternity which is important but the ideal which that name embodies. We are happy and proud to serve the ideals of Phi Kappa Tau.
In January, 1963 we moved to our present location on Reeder Street until the completion of the new house in the near future.
[NOTE: The new house never happened. Membership dwindled, and the men of Phi Kappa Tau were moved to a shared location with another fraternity. It did not recover and became inactive in 1976.]
See the composite from 1967.
| Ø K T - AO Home Page|
| Ø K T - AO E-mail Directory |